A cute house near my house
I've mostly gotten used to sheltering in place. I'm lucky to have a home studio so I can keep making things during the pandemic. I miss talking to people face to face but I'm distracting myself pretty well with art, movies, and online communications.
My current fascination is cutting card stock on the laser cutter. I've come up with all sorts of multi-colored designs where the colors peak out from under the layers. I'm currently wrapping up some mini-art that I'll post soon. Here are a couple of pieces in progress.
- I recently watched an inspiring documentary on Sol LeWitt. It really dug into his methods for producing his work and showed off his sexy studio in the woods.
- Sol LeWitt:100 Views is a great introduction to his work. It was created to go with the MASS MoCA exhibit that I hope to see one day.
- I recently discovered the paper-folding genius of Matt Shilan.
- Based on his recommendations, I picked up these two books on paper folding: Folding Techniques for Designers and Complete Pleats.
- I've been watching a lot of movies lately. A few that I recommend are a Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Assistant, and Harriet.
- The book Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff is a great reminder to be kinder to ourselves during these trying times.
- LovingKindness by Sharon Salzberg shows us that being kind to ourselves helps us strengthen our connection to others.
By giving ourselves kindness and comfort in moments of difficulty, we avoid destructive patterns of fear, negativity, and isolation. —Kristin Neff
The path to true happiness is one of integrating and fully accepting all aspects of our experience. —Sharon Salzberg
Want this delivered directly to your inbox? Subscribe to my newsletter.